Re: OT: RE madness

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:55:54AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
[...]
> slight rewording needed -- "black" comes back as true BECAUSE IT
> DOESN'T MATCH, and that's what you're looking for with !~. it
> might seem like a small distinction until you realize how easy
> it is to be misled! :)
Right, sorry for my being so clumsy.

> using brackets, /[something]/ will match any s, o, m, e, t, h,
> i, n, or g.

Yes, I know that as well. You're right, though. My problem was that
I misunderstood another concept: if the character class begins with
a caret "^", then it means "except", so I thought that grouping
things would still apply. Unfortunately, it doesn't. I'll have to
learn more about other extended patterns.

> all you needed to do was change !~ (doesn't match) to =~ (does
> match) and you should be done.

I know -- I knew that and I've done it. I was doing this out of
curiosity. 8-)

	andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates