Re: windows apps under debian

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 15:53:14 +1100, John Griffiths <john@capmon.com>
wrote :

> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to attempt a desktop linux trial in my office and
> need some advice on approaches to applicaiton portability.
>
> There are windows apps that are not, at this time optional
> so one way or another I'll have to get them to go, or stay off
> the linux desktop.
>
> the list of apps is:
>
> Eudora 3.05  (horrid I know, but there you go)
> Dreamweaver 4 (directX?)
> Acrobat 4 (or maybe 5)

You might want to try Wine (http://www.winehq.com). Not all windows apps
work on wine under debian at this moment but I managed to get MS Office
2000 and Dreamweaver MX working. I have not given the programs extensive
testing yet so I can't guarantee stability. Dreamweaver 4 & MX seem to
work find here but there are still a couple of quirks that needs to be
ironed out in Wine. But overall, it loads and work fine.

If you need more infomation take a look at
http://www.frankscorner.org/wine/.

And if you need screenshots, email me privately and I'll send it to you.

--
Regards,

Jeremy Tan