Re: sniffer output question

Haim Ashkenazi, 2003-Jan-07 10:55 +0200:
> Hi
>
> While I was working on solaris (which in many ways was a terrible
> experience), there was one thing I really liked. the output from 'snoop'
> was clear and readable. I was wondering if there is a tool in linux that
> does the same (or a combination of tools). the only drawback is that it
> has to be command line (I don't want to launch etherrreal to see a
> formated output).

tcpdump can be made to look clear and readable.  You just need to know
which options to use.  Try the same options you used with snoop to
watch a all the conversation with that host:

# tcpdump host <ipaddress>

It just puts more info on the screen.

There is also a console version of ethereal called tethereal.  I
haven't used it though.  Also, ettercap is a pretty decent ncurses
based sniffer, with a few other interesting features.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User