Interesting X crash

OK, I have no details because it's not killing me or anything.

Currently my box boots to GDM (sid). Works great. I'm thinking of
killing that againbecause I do a lot of stuff remotely through ssh and
read my mail via IMAP (Courier). Just want to free up the rescources
since X isn't being used most of the time.

I'm also probably going to dump the whole "desktop manager" (Gnome right
now) thing. Once again, freeing up resources used by things that I don't
(use).

So, I logged out of Gnome, hopped over to a terminal window, and killed
GDM (using init.d/gdm stop).

Checked that my .xsession ended with 'exec gnome-session' since that's
what I've been logging in with through GDM, and ran 'startx'.

X goes as far as bringing up the Gnome startup screen then sig-11's.
Nothing in .xsession-errors, it just goes away (and usually leaves me
sitting on the empty VT-7 rather than recovering to the starting VT).

So, I changed .xsession to 'exec sawfish'. No gnome splash screen this
time -- but it still catches a signal 11 and dies.

X and Gnome/Sawfish all work fine from GDM.

Has anyone else seen this? Ability to start from a *DM but segfault from
startx?

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com