Re: CDROM's headphone jack old-fashioned?

Dan Jacobson said:
> What are the 4 wires from "analog" prongs of my CDROM unit to the
> "CD1" prongs on my motherboard for?  Is this an old fashioned way of
> listening to music?  How about the headphone jack on the front of the
> CDROM unit?  Old fashioned too?
>
> Take my "RICOH CD-R/RW MP7080A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive", which seems to
> have difficulty often realizing that a cd had been inserted.
> Anyway, say I retire it.  Can it then play CDs without a computer
> around?

If your using a tradtional audio cd player(that is, not a digital ripper
like cdda2wav or whatever..) all cd audio comes out of that 4 wire jack
as well as the headphone jack. The CDROM must be connected to the soundcard's
connector to pass the audio through(the soundcard doesn't process it, it
just sends is straight out). Usually this is controlled by a dedicated
volume control on the soundcard(or line IN).

if your CDROM has front panel controls it should be able to play cds, provided
you give it a source of power, without the connection to the computer. If
there is no front controls(play/stop/etc), then you'll need some sort of
device to instruct the drive to play, it won't start playing automatically.

NEC had some good drives out a few years back, I had one, a SCSI 6.7x internal
CDROM, tray loading, front panel LCD with play/stop/next/prev buttons for
audio cds.

nate