Re: missing rm

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:31:16 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> OK, I tried to do a dist-upgrade from stable to testing.
>
> rm, ls and all the fileutil goodies got scrapped and cannot be reinstalled
> with dpkg (.deb package is on the disk).

That's weird - that upgrade path should work. (It shouldn't be possible to
install testing's placeholder fileutils package without coreutils being
installed already)

> Any suggestions short of a rebuild?
>
> None of the dpkg/apt utilities will function because they all error out
> with 'rm blah blah blah' fail (because there is no rm).

You could try putting coreutils' rm in place via
	dpkg-deb -x coreutils.deb /
then
	dpkg --pending --configure
and try if the system's recoverable from that state.

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,