Re: Just installed Woody but need help with boot...

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:42:41PM -0700, Scott (sidewalking) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just took the time over last night and all day today to install Debian
> 3.0 from all 7 discs.  I went through and did the partitioning and base
> stuff right, and shut it down and rebooted, so I had LILO right at
> first.  I logged back in as root and went through the dselect options
> and added tons of stuff, but after stopping there and exiting through
> the proper menus, when I shut it down and rebooted, I must have done
> something to screw up the MBR, as this is what I got:
> __________________________
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs is not mounted
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03

My guess is you installed a 2.4.x kernel which requires initrd and
lilo.conf is not configured correctly to load the required
initrd.img or you forgot to rerun lilo before rebooting.

Check lilo.conf and look for lines like:

image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img

/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img will be symlinks to the kernel image and
its matching initrd.img.

You may be able to boot the prior linux kernel. Try booting
"linuxOLD". If not try booting from CD and fix problem...or maybe try tomsrtbt
(http://www.toms.net/rb/). tomsrtbt FAQ includes an explanation on how
to run lilo using chroot.

--
Jerome