RE: Help Configuring Sound

However when I try to start any sound application, I get a "/dev/dsp: No
such device" error message.  The above modules do not appear to be using
any ioports or interrupts according to /proc.  dmesg says that isapnp,
ad1848 and opl3sa2 did not find any plug and play devices.  It seems to me
that I am not actually successfully loading the modules even though they
appear when I lsmod.

I am new to 2.4 kernels, but I was under the impression that the isapnp module would take care of the ioports and interrupts.

Any suggestions?

Yours,

Streph

Hi Streph,

/dev/dsp message you mentioned usually means you don't have the right module for your chipset installed.

Perhaps you can (if you haven't already) use sndconfig  (apt-get install sndconfig). That will tell you driver you need (at least it worked for me).

Davor