dselect purge

Hi,

Relative newbie, been wondering about dselect purge option...
I had installed quite a bit of stuff and decided to do a major cleanup since
most of my time is on console anyways cause i'm still learning
Anyways..in dselect i set all these packages to purge.
The thing is that after the purge/remove process has finished i still have
quite a lot of dirs like gnome...afterstep...etc etc directories in my regular
home dir. And during purging i also see the 'blahblah dir not empty so not
removed'  message flash by...with dirs outside home.

Is there a way to make dpkg/deselect purge to really purge...as in..dump it all.
I guess  it is like it is to prevent user placed or app generated files from getting
deleted but it is rather annoying that purge doesn't really purge.

cheers