Re: how do i get wu-ftp to work?? (Debian Woody) (solved)

Thanks guys,

I did switch to vsftpd, and in the end it worked, but the first thing
that happened on testing was that any connection was outright refused.

Turns out the problem was that in inetd.conf ftp was commented as such:

#<disabled>#ftp		stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/sbin/vsftpd

I'm not sure how long that had been in there, possibly since original
installation, but at any rate, the command update-inetd that is
supposedly used by stuff like dselect, as in:

update-inetd --enable ftp

Doesn't take that kind of comment away as apparently a comment in that
file is supposed to be honored as a user edit.

Actually the Head of that file says you're not supposed to edit it
unless you're really sure what you're doing, better just use
update-inetd (!!).

Well, great! .. looks like the whole design is meant to keep you from
using a ftp demon.
I ended up taking the comment away directly. Now it finally works
(sigh).

I know that I didn't put the fricking comment in there, must've been
some installer.
I find it really annoying that ftp can be just quietly disabled like
that without any failure message on the part of the install scripts.
After all the script DID obviously put vsftpd into that line somehow,
just only without actually activating the bloody thing.
Probably wu-ftp itself would've been working fine as well, I guess.

Lukas