Re: IP firewalls

One can use ipfwadm (or ipchains) in addition to iptables with 2.4.kernels:

CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPFWADM
  This option places ipfwadm (with masquerading and redirection
  support) back into the kernel, using the new netfilter
  infrastructure.  It is not recommended for new installations (see
  acket filtering').  With this enabled, you should be able to use
  the ipfwadm tool exactly as in 2.0 kernels.