Re: USB Mouse not working

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:33:24 -0800 (PST)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> suresh kumar sharma said:
> > Hi,
> > I have been trying to install a logitech optical mouse
> > on my laptop through USB,but it does not work
> > I have loaded input,usbcore,usb-uhci,and hid modules
> > .I get light on the mouse and when I check dmesg I can
> > see that it recoganises the mouse.
> > "input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB-PS/2
> > Optical Mouse] on usb1:2.0"
> > but it does not work .
> > I am using kernel 2.4.20 and have CONFIG_HID_HIDINPUT
> > option as yes .
>
> what device are you using for the mouse interface? I think
> default on debian is /dev/input/mice but I make a special device
> called /dev/usbmouse
>
> mknod /dev/usbmouse c 10 32
>
> then tell whatever app to use that device(e.g. X, gpm)
>
> works good on all the USB mice and trackballs I've tried.
>
> looks like your mouse is working fine, your just not using the
> right device to access it
>
> nate

I wish I had had nate's advice when I changed my "ps/2" mouse to USB - I
needed external USB connector for my motherboard to do it.  I went by
the steps at http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
and it worked - I think as long as you change the device you point to in
XF86Config either way works.  An interesting test is to cat
/dev/input/mice (or /dev/usbmouse) and if you see weird chars then you
should be all set as long as X points to that device, too.

Shawn