There is no place like Sarge.... Knoppix must go.

I had decided Knoppix 3.1 could be installed on my old windows partition. Has anyone tried #apt-get update using Knoppix? It does not go well! Oh well, I still have the demo c.d. and the config floppy.
I am hoping that one day the auto-config Knoppix will show me the way to finish installing ( USB CDRW ) and optimizing Debian.

The first problem: dev/hda1 is the Knoppix partition ext2fs that is 3 GB, and I cannot boot now to dev/hda6 unless I use the install cd and ?bfsf24 rescue root=/hda6? or use my boot floppy.

The second problem: I don't know how to juggle my free space ( partition 1 ) where I need it.

After I boot I run #lilo
Added Linux *
Skipping /bzImage.mykernel.july-7-2002
Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature.

dev/hda6 /      988MB  156MB  Free
dev/hda5 /tmp   472MB  447MB  Free
dev/hda7 /usr   4.6GB  915MB  Free
dev/hda8 /home  3.95GB 413MB  Free
dev/hda9 /var   3.94GB 2.59GB Free
dev/hda3 SWAP   502MB
Partition 2 extended.
Partition 4 ( for windows 95/98 partition for kids) 952MB

So I googled the Debian List Archives and found this.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200212/msg00052.html
This advice:
boot your system off the knoppix CD
mount your root partition on /mnt

    cd /mnt

    sbin/lilo -r .

    cd /

    umount /mnt

    mount your Woody root partition on /mnt

    cd /mnt

    sbin/lilo -r .

    sbin/lilo -r . -C etc/lilo.conf.mbr

    cd /

    umount /mnt

    reboot

This did not work
root@ttyp2[hda6]# sbin/lilo -r .
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied.

Do I mount hda1 (ext2fs) first? How?
Do I then begin to move files around with mc?
Learn by breaking has been my moto, but I need a guiding hand.
Links to suitable reference materials, similar mail list archives greatly appreciated.