Chat servers

Does anyone know of some good chat server software other than irc that
doesn't use Java? (Preferably open source). I'm going to have to help
windows users login to this, and java seems to be too hard to keep
configured on a windows machine, plus it uses too much of the system
resources. I know phpgroupware offers a chat module, but it seems be
more of a beta than a working implementation.

I'm currently running Debian Woody r1 on a P133 w/64mb of ram.

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/