Re: dial on demand ... dials by itself !!

On Friday 03 January 2003 01:54 pm, Daves Debian wrote:
> I have enabled dial on demand, it works great except sometimes
> it dials up by itself. I assume by some program trying to access and
> unknown ip address.
>
> How do I find out what programms are using my ppp link ?
> ps ax | grep ppp
> tells me ppp is active, but what caused it to activate and what
> program is sending all this data ???!!!
>
> Many thanks for any help
> Dave

Dave,

I had this problem too.  I have a windows box that is connected to my
little LAN and it was emanating a Windows "who-has" lookup about every
15 minutes forcing a dial-up.  I discovered this by using tcpdump, e.g.
	tcpdump -vvv -i any

and comparing the output of this with the logs in /var/log/syslog which
would record the time of any dial-up.

I posted this to debian-user, you can search the archives under the
subject "finding network activity"

John Schmidt