Re: Lean and clean IMAP client

* Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> [030103 16:08]:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:53:16PM +0100, me wrote:
>
> | At the moment I am giving mutt a try, and so far have been successful with
> | a few glitches in sending mail (the from field is a mess) and the
> | reply-to.  I am trying to fix that now.....
>
> Is
>     From: me <rohann@informaat.nl>
> what you intended?

No not at all :\

> You probably configured exim on your machine using the "smarthost and
> local delivery" option in eximconfig.

To be honest I am not sure how I configured it, but I am the only one
using this machine (laptop) and at least it is sending mail.

> One of the things that sets up
> is rewriting addresses in those headers because your machine's name
> isn't a valid SMTP domain.  By default programs like 'mail',
> 'reportbug' and 'mutt' will use $USER@$HOSTNAME as your email address.
> In your case that would yield rohann@rohannLinux, but no one (unless
> they were on your machine) would be able to send mail to that address.
> Exim uses the file /etc/email-addresses to rewrite the address to be
> your actual (ISP-provided) email address.  Assuming the above is
> correct, you should have an entry
>     rohann: rohann@informaat.nl
> in /etc/email-addresses.  You will need to do that for each user on
> your system.  (you don't need to do it for system users that are
> merely redirected to your own local account)

Thanks I have done that now, so hopefully the from field will work now.

> The reply-to address is only needed if you want replies to go to a
> different address than you are sending from.  If want that, then put
>     my_hdr Reply-To: other@address.example
> in your .muttrc.  That header will be subject to the same exim
> rewriting as the From: header (eg if you put
> "someone_else@rohannLinux" in it, it would be rewritten by looking up
> the reall address of "someone_else" in /etc/email-addresses).

Will leave it well alone.:)
> HTH,
> -D

thank you so much.  I have been changing stuff in my .muttrc with no
happiness and was about to face the challenge of exim.  You have saved
me a lot of time.

I do have another question:
exim is having problems sending mail to addresses with '.' in the local
host name, it says it was returned.

So: rohan.nicholls@informaat.nl - is returned as is anyone else with the
same name format
	nichollsrohan@hotmail.com - sends perfectly
Any ideas would be most appreciated.  I thought I might need to escape
the '.' but that didn't help.

Thanks in advance.

rohan