Re: compiling xfree86 on a debian system

b d <bobdole20020924@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have multiple alpha systems, and unfortunately as it turns out
> must compile Xfree86 from source, due to the fact that the official
> alpha packages of debian do not currently have my video card
> supported, yet support exists according to the xfree86.org
> website....
>
> I have not been able to find a good and easy guide to follow of the
> steps involved (specific to debian) through google.... has anyone
> attempted to properly create debs (yes, I know Branden and his team
> does of course, but his packages are lacking my drivers) for xfree86
> that has a step by step guide that I could follow?

If I needed to do this, I'd get the Debian X source ('apt-get source
xserver-xfree86', 'apt-get build-dep xserver-xfree86'), edit to taste,
add a new entry at the top of debian/changelog, and run
'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' to get packages out.  While you're at
it, you should probably document what you did and submit it as a bug
against the xserver-xfree86 package
(http://bugs.debian.org/xserver-xfree86 has the extensive listing).

(I'd be surprised if Branden *removed* drivers from the XFree86
source; it's entirely possible that some things aren't being built,
though.  If you know what driver you care about and know it isn't
being included, a wishlist bug against xserver-xfree86 wouldn't be
inappropriate, but there's no guarantee that this will actually result
in anything.)

	-- Abra Mitchell