Re: Upgrade to Snort 1.9.0

Stefan Drees, 2003-Jan-03 19:29 +0100:
> Hello,
> i´m working with debian since three months (coming from suse) and its great.
> But now i need to upgrade snort 1.8.7 (from testing) to 1.9.0 because there
> are no more rule files for 1.8.X.
>
> So i have looked in unstable and found out, that i must upgrade to libpcap
> 0.7,
> libc6-2.2.5-13 and libdb1-compat 2.1.3-7.
> libdb1-compat 2.1.3-7 seems to be ok, no problems listed.
> libpcap 0.7 seems to be ok, no "critical" problems listed only a missing
> link to libpcap.so.0.
> libc6-2.2.5-13 has many listed bugs and other problems. => problem => system
> stable?
>
> I need snort 1.9.0 but i want the system to be stable. Hope someone can help
> me, how to do it.

I had the same situation and I elected to compile snort 1.9.0 from
source on my stable system.  I update the rules periodically as well.
The compile process is very simple.

Another option would be to build the deb package from unstable
source.

There was some discussion on this issue on the debian-security list
starting Dec. 6th, Subject: Updating Snort Signatures In Stable ?

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User