Re: XP oerrating system

On Friday 03 January 2003 10:54 am, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 05:31:03AM -0800, Beatrice I. Smith wrote:
> > I have the XP home operating system on my PC. Is it possible to
> > install the Debian Linux OS on this pc?
>
> Most likely.  Linux supports all common hardware, so unless you've got
> some really weird stuff in your PC, it should not present any problems.

While Linux supports all common hardware, there is a problem with Debian and
some recent hardware (like my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon, which I've had for
more than a year).  Since Debian is VERY slow in updating, sometimes it is
necessary to go to the testing or unstable versions to get software that
supports some hardware.

I couldn't get Debian working for more than a week.  It would install, but
XFree86 would not run.  I finally got XFree86 from the testing version, and
it finally worked with my video card.