Re: Anti-aliasing

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 05:16 am, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've just managed to get anti aliasing working with qt apps.
> However I would also like to get xterms,window maker and gtk based apps
> working. For the gtk apps would I be correct in thinking that I will have
> to upgrade to the unstable (i.e. gtk 2+) for things such as gimp to do
> antialiasing?
>
> For windowmaker (and I guess in turn xterms) though I'm at a bit of a
> loss. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rus

yeah, what you need are XFree 4.2.x (I think...) and gtk2

I just discovered from the windows telnet thread that the following:

xterm -fa "Lucida Console" -fs 14

starts an xterm with a gloriously antialiased truetype font.

by the way, I seem to remember there being some sort of environment variable
you have to set to get gtk2 to use AA fonts, like GDK_USE_XFT=1 or
somesuch...  I'll have to look through my notes for that.

yes, I edited /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome

and added:

	# make AA work
	export GDK_USE_XFT=1

of course, that only helps you if you use gdm.

-jason pepas