Re: debian on openbrick

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:09:38PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

Hi Joey,

> That's why I keep my whole root filesystem mounted read-only. My compact
> flash is only written to on clean shutdowns (rare..) when I rsync
> /var/log and other persistent state back to it, and when I upgrade or do
> some sysadmin task. I suspect this in fact will tend to wear out the
> flash less overall than your technique of blowing in an entire completly
> different compressed image for each change. Not that I worry about
> wearing out a cheap 32 mb flash; it's not as if the system is swapping
> to it! At maybe one write a week to some random sector of my flash, I
> have well, a very long expected lifetime for it.

You are correct that my technique will tend to wear out the
flash faster than yours.  However, the 32M CF filesystem is
supposed to be used in a production environment.  I would
not expect people to do update frequently.  It is somewhat
similar to what Cisco is doing with their routers, like the
2500/3600.  A complete system is actually contained in just
one file or image.  The flash upgrade should only happen
once in a few months, like maybe twice a year.

In your case, it is different since it is designed to be more
of a "real" development system.  It is always wise to have a
HD for such cases.

Thanks.
Bao
--