From: Clay Trotter [mailto:claytrot@SWBell.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 12:27 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #15

Please remove me from your email list

Subject:
debian-user-digest Digest                               Volume 2003 : Issue 15

Today's Topics:
  Re: I can't install KDE3 on debian s  [ Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily. ]
  Re: cannot open dislpay: debian:0.0   [ Hanasaki JiJi <hanasaki@hanaden.com ]
  Re: Nvidia compile error [SOLVED]     [ Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> ]
  Preferred procedure for getting extr  [ Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> ]
  Re: Unofficial Debian package manage  [ David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> ]
  Re: Preferred procedure for getting   [ Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> ]
  Debian                                [ "Larry Stallings" <twoguns@nethere. ]
  Re: cannot open dislpay: debian:0.0   [ David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> ]
  Re: Debian                            [ "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> ]
  Re: Nvidia compile error [SOLVED]     [ Elijah <desiderata@softhome.net> ]
  ogg123 segmentation fault             [ "David H. Clymer" <david@nittanylin ]
  real player plugin only as root       [ John Kerr Anderson <jaanders@tm.net ]
  Re: Debian                            [ Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be> ]
  Re: real player plugin only as root   [ ernst <ernst@bluezone.no> ]
  Re: ogg123 segmentation fault         [ Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@gmx.de> ]
  OpenGL                                [ Chris Burns <fooberman@mail.utexas. ]
  Programs Won't Run -- Can't find Lib  [ Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.c ]
  Re: I can't install KDE3 on debian s  [ Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> ]
  Re: Linux and Intel's Hyperthreading  [ mess-mate <messmate@tiscali.fr> ]
  Re: gqview and pgm                    [ Lourens Steenkamp <palchen@ananzi.c ]

Subject: Re: I can't install KDE3 on debian sarge
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:23:32 +0000
From: Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Subject: Re: cannot open dislpay: debian:0.0
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:25:57 -0600
From: Hanasaki JiJi <hanasaki@hanaden.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Ran into this sometime back myself.. it was related to gdm options.
something about a -nolisten option

James Tappin wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 02:12:34 -0800
> "Kevin" <kevin@robertsesq.com> wrote:
>

>>FYI
>>If I try xhost +localhost
>>xhost:  unable to open display "debian:0.0"
>>

> 3 alternatives spring to mind; either:
> xhost +debian # as the original user
> or:
> export DISPLAY=localhost:0 # as root before running make xconfig
> or even:
> ssh -X root@localhost # instead of su

= Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the     =
=       right things.    - Peter Drucker                        =
=     http://www.sun.com/service/sunps/jdc/javacenter.pdf       =
=  www.sun.com | www.javasoft.com | http://wwws.sun.com/sunone  =