GTK2 apps and kde

I run kde (3.1rc) as my desktop environment, but also use 2 gtk apps (gimp 1.3
and synaptic) both of which use GTK 2. Gimp picks up the theme settings and
uses the xft libraries to do antialiased fonts just fine. However synaptic
neither picks up the theme settings or uses xft unless i run one of the gnome
control center dialogs, or the control center itself. I dont know if this is
a bug or the proper behaviour of the new gtk. Any pointers would be a bonus.

Thanks

Tom