Re: sendmail just queueing everything

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 02:12:57AM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On my (home) box, I seem to to have a problem with sendmail: it just
>  queues everything until I start a queue-run manually, then everything
>  goes out as expected.
>
> Eg I send a mail at 01:18, and at 01:52 it's still in the queue, no
>  problems mentioned. Connectivity was there all the time (I know, since
>  I was ssh'ed into smart.host all the time and did stuff there).

If you have queuing enabled, then you have to enable cron to
run your queues for you. Just uncomment the 2 lines in
/etc/cron.d/sendmail

i have it as

* * * * *               smmsp   test -x /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail && /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail cron-msp

* * * * *               root    test -x /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail && /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail cron-mta

here it runs a max of 10 emails per run (per minute).

Or, you'll have to edit sendmail.conf in /etc/mail, in particular
these lines

# QUEUE_MODE="${DAEMON_MODE}";  Keyword  SMTP queue runner
#       daemon:  Run as standalone daemon
#       cron:    Run from crontab
#       none:    No queue runner (ie, nullclient/smarthost)
#
# NOTE: for the nonce, QUEUE_MODE="none" is *NOT* supported !!!
#
QUEUE_MODE="Cron";

And lines:

# MSP_MODE="Cron";  Keyword  MSP queue runner mode
#       daemon:  Run as standalone daemon
#       cron:    Run from crontab
#       none:    No queue runner (ie, nullclient/smarthost)
#
# NOTE:  If QUEUE_MODE="cron" & MSP_MODE="none", the MSP queue will
#                be run as part of the MTA queue running process.
#
MSP_MODE="Cron";

If you change those to daemon, then it should get delivered
immediately but I preferable like CRON since it prevents easy
DOS attacks especially if you are running something like
spamassassin on your side.

- Adam