Re: kernel recompile

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:38:34 +0800
Robert Storey <dial911@venus.seed.net.tw> wrote:

> I've just recompiled my kernel and it failed at the very last
> step (installing the kernel). My procedure:
>
> 1) Use "make xconfig" to choose my settings
> 2) make dep clean bzImage modules
> 3) make install modules_install
>
> I received no error messages until the very end when make install
> tried to write to LILO and couldn't find it (because I don't use
> LILO, I use GRUB). It offered to make a bootable floppy, and I
> chose "yes". The floppy was made, but Debian crashes immediately
> when I boot off that floppy.
>
> I tried copying the file "vmlinuz" on the floppy and putting it
> into /boot, but that leads to the same problem - instant crash.
>
> Should I conclude that the new kernel I created, "vmlinuz", is
> screwed? Or is there something else I need to do to install my
> new kernel?
>
> By the way, is there some good documentation on this? I'm just
> using an old Redhat book as my guide, but I'd prefer something
> Debian specific.
I don't use kpkg - so my advice will be different;  I also don't use
modules - so I can't direct you explicitly there - but here is what I
do;
make menuconfig
make dep
make -j2 bzImage    (uses 2 processes - faster)
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-new
cp System.map /boot/System.map-new  (obviously these two are done from
the top dir of your kernel source)

Thus - I never do a "make install" - I also use grub... so after you
copy the kernel to the /boot dir you need to add an entry to
/boot/grub/menu.lst... safest to copy and edit the one that is already
there...

for modules i guess you will have to do a
make modules _after_ make bzImage    (at least after "make dep")
and I would back up the present modules (in /lib/modules/`uname -r`)
then make modules_install

This method works for me... again I don't even use modules - too much
configuration.

This website helped me
www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/kernel_hacking/lesson3

and *no* I am not a chick.