Re: dist-upgrade (potato->woody): how to get X back up?

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:38:04AM -0600, will trillich wrote:

[ snip ]

> To test the server, run 'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new'
>
> <<<<<
>
> and then i do
>
> 	XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new
>
> just like it says, and the bilge-plate bitmap pattern comes up
> (the generic X background) with the "X" pointer in the center of
> the screen -- but the mouse does nothing and the keyboard
> appears to do nothing as well. (resolution looks to be about
> 640x480.)
>
> i know about CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out of X in a hurry, which
> works, and where i then see 193 lines of output (i can send them
> if it'll help). here are some snippets related to my video card:

[ snip ]
> 	(II) MGA(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
> 		Screen to screen bit blits
>
> if there's useful snippets for you x-server sleuths there,
> please let me know!

Snippets aren't too helpful.  Instead, attach the file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log (I'm not sure that's _exactly_ the correct
name, because I'm not sure if that .0 means it was rotated or if .0
means display :0.  The file will certainly be
/var/log/XFree86something :)

> what other things can an ignoramus try, to get X working under
> woody?

Which version of X do you have installed?  My xserver is
xserver-xfree86, version 4.2.1-3.

Whenever I am having trouble with X and some video card or monitor, I
google for '<name of card/monitor> XF86Config'.  You should end up
with copies of XF86COnfigs that presumably are working for other
people.

I also use 2.4 kernels on any box running X because I like the DRI
support.

  Multiculturalism is one society's tolerance of other
  societies' intolerance.
          -- Mark Steyn