Re: *solved* Re: Error: inetd[597]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Michelle Storm said:

> Will this error return if I have to reboot? Just wanting to know cause I'd
> rebooted recently, and I don't want to have to do this every time I
> reboot.

yes most likely it will. depending on what was using ident, if it was
another process, or if it was a hung socket in TIME_WAIT .. as another
poster noted you may have 2 copies of ident trying to run. I reccomend

dpkg -l | grep ident

to see what packages are installed for ident, if there is more then
one, remove one of them(sounds like the case), if theres only one,
either prevent it from starting on boot(it should have an init script)
or comment it out of inetd.conf

> BTW: I do remember something about a bind/auth update when I did dselect a
> few days ago. Could that be the cause?

it's possible yes.

nate