Re: How to have many Win98 users & 1 Linux

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:00:21PM +0200, DSC Siltec wrote:
| Hi,
|
|    I have an interesting situation:
|
|     (1) We have at school a Microsoft Networking network.
|
|     (2) We need to get a Linux Koha library system going.  For this
| reason, I would like to have 8-10 students working on the installation,
| in our computer lab, with as little disruption of the computer lab as
| possible.
|     (3) It is my idea that we could install one extra HDD to the
| Library's computer, and install Linux on it for remote boot.  We could
| then simply boot  that computer into Linux, and be working on Windows
| machines as remote logins to the Linux machine.

Sounds good so far.  (#3 is easy too ...)

|     I've done some googling, and can't quite see what I am looking for.
| I also started looking at the Linux Networking Howto, but I'm not seeing
| what I'm looking for there, either.  Proper redirection to the
| appropriate sections might help, if it's there -- or just a description
| of what I need to do.

The networking howto is probably designed for generic network setup.
It probably focuses on layers 2 and 3, not 5.  (that is, ethernet/ppp
and IP, not SSH and other application protocols)  You'll need to have
TCP/IP working on it, but I'll assume that isn't a problem since you
haven't said it is.

|     A list of packages, and (preferably freeware or already on the
| system) Win98 programs or program-types would be good.

On the debian box install 'ssh'.
On the windows systems grab putty :
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

If you have a lot of bandwidth and want even more convenience, install
cygwin and XFree86 on the windows boxes and tunnel an X connection
over ssh.  Then your users will be able to run graphical programs on
the debian system but display on the win98 terminal they are sitting
at.

I also recommend creating a separate unix account for each of those
users.  It allows them to configure their session without tripping
over the others and could provide you with greater traceability.

|     (4) Precondition:  I think Samba is out,

Samba only lets you access files and printers.  It doesn't let you run
shell commands, etc.  Thus it won't solve your problem.

| because it uses klisa, which scans the network

Huh?  I use samba on my home network but I've never heard of klisa.

| and triggers "hacker" guards that take us off the internet.

"Samba" (or more precisely SMB) is Microsoft's networking protocol.
If you have an "MS network" then I suspect that adding one more
SMB-aware node won't have any effect.

| The Principal would not be too happy about that.  But if
| I am wrong, say so:  it might well simplify my job.

HTH,
-D

--
Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/