Re: No Umlauts in Gnome Apps

Hello!
First, I want to apologize for breaking the thread, but I accidentally deleted the original message...

I see this as a general problem with Debian. The locale system doesn't really cover everything needed. Say, it works well as long as you survive with only C as locale. I would file a bug but I don't know if this is a locale or some gtk package problem.

I had the same problem earlier (but with öäå, locale fi_FI), and this is my solution:

Edit /etc/environment or apt-get install localeconf so that the result is (replace fi_FI@euro with your own locale: de_DE@euro):

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=fi_FI@euro
LC_NUMERIC=fi_FI@euro
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY=fi_FI@euro
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

Now you'll have working special chars in traditional terminals as well as in GTK apps, but:

-Some GTK apps like gnome-terminal don't work (I use xterm instead, which gives öäå)

-Other apps start slowly, eg gedit (30 sec. of 100 % CPU usage), but give öäå

-Gnome starts up a bit slower (stops for an extra 5 secs on Windowmanager of I remember correctly).

-Some Gnome gunctions are really f:d up, like changing icons for launchers. These crash on you completely.

If you explicitly set LC_MESSAGES to your own locale, you'll end up seeing your Gnome in German...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
/johan

--