Re: which is the best partition table format?

Thanks Cameron and Alan.  Your explanations and examples corrected my
mental model of LVM.

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 10:44:00AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:

| The point of LVM is that you can easily create, resize or delete
| these logical volumes without worrying about them being contiguous
| within the physical media

My original understanding of LVM was that it allowed aggregating
multiple disks/partitions into a single logical partition, and that
the logical partitions could be dynamically changed.  To this extent I
was on the right track, but I had thought the logical volumes could
only be changed in terms of partitions.  That's why I wanted to make a
lot of small partitions -- so I could decide later which volume they
were a part of :-).

| The trick, I think, is to make your decisions on what Volume Groups
| to have.

Indeed, that was where I was tricked ;-).  After reading the HOWTO I
didn't really understand the relationship between VG, LV, and the
actual partition (according to the partition table).

As it turns out, a "Volume Group" is nothing more than a big virtual
disk from which I can then carve out virtual partitions (called
"logical volumes") which are then mounted at some point in the
directory tree.  Both VGs and LVs can be dynamically resized (though
I'm not certain if LVs can decrease in size or only increase).  A VG
encapsulates one or more physical disks/partitions and makes them
appear as one large storage space to be divided up amongst the LVs.

Now that I understand how the physical disks are first aggregated, and
then re-divided into logical "partitions" I agree with Cameron that a
disk needs no more than one partition on it.  When creating a single
partition on an x86 machine, the practicality/simplicity of it beats
out purity and the MSDOS partition table format is sufficient.  I
ended up creating a single 20GB partition, and currently have a 5GB
/data/media logical volume and a 1GB /data/prjmgmt (for the cvs root
and aegis project repository) logical volume.  Both are holding ext3
filesystems.

It's kinda late now, but I hope I've been clear enough in writing
this.  I ought to rewrite the explanation better and then post it on
my web site and submit it to the HOWTO maintainer.

-D

--
Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/