Re: mozilla/unstable + java-jvm = crash

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:10:34AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

> I installed the mozilla-unstable branch yesterday.
> the Java-jvm plugin that I had before was no longer listed as available so
> I tried to reinstall the java plugin from the sun.com website.
>
> I did the install as 'root' so that I wouldn't have any problems with
> access rights for installing the plugin.
>
> Under Mozilla, the About Plugins section shows the java jvm as installed
> and enabled.
>
> Installed the jvm from java.sun.com.
> Mozilla reports:
>     File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
>     Java(TM) Plug-in1.3.1_02
> Mozilla crashes with:
> bash-2.05a$ /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin
> java_vm: relocation error:
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/java2/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
> version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from browser
> System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> libc.so.6 is version 2.3.1-5
>
> Does anyone know how to get this working?  I was just fine before under
> mozilla 1.0 (IIRC the jvm was 1.2 or 1.3).

Sun's Java 1.3 is broken in Sid, since they used an internal glibc
symbol (__libc_wait) they shouldn't have, and it's been removed from
glibc 2.3.1.  You'll have to go get an experimental Java 1.4 (available
from blackdown, iirc) which fixes this bug or you could try to roll back
to glibc 2.2.5 from testing.

-rob