compile 2.4.19 kernel,.. the debian way?

Ok, it's time,... i just got a d-link air, dwl-650 wireless card for my old
timer laptop(pent mmx 233MHZ). I'm running debian woody 2.4.18-bf2.4,
and it appears that there is a debian linux-wlan-ng package for the
drivers but it is built against the 2.4.19 kernel.

I just downloaded 2.4.19.tar.bz2 from kernel.org but now i' reading debian
specifics and there is a package kernel-image-2.4.19-386? is this an apt-get
package?

I also jussr installed `kernel-package' which is the 'debian specific'(?) way
to install the new kernel? (what i understood from debian FAQ's)

I am a little confused as to which is the best route to go with debian for
compiling/installing a new kernel.

The `regular' way (i.e make, makeconfig, etc)
The kernel-package way (i.e make-kpkg kernel_image)
The apt-get way? (i.e. sudo apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19-386, does this
even exist?)

Also, i'm have the understanding that as soon as my 2.4.19 kernel is up and
running i can just install the wlan-ng modules/packages, etc,... Is this
true or do i have to include them in compiling the kernel?

I would appreciate any help/info or guidence in this area, also any
current good reading material on `proper' kernel compiling,... the debian way.

TIA
-mUs