Re: What should I do after a power failure?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:08:49AM -0800, Fred Sloniker wrote:
> I know that powering the system off manually is a Bad Thing (tm), but
> I live in Cowville, so a black-out is always a possibility.  It's also
> possible that my mom would turn the computer off out of ignorance,
> despite my attempts to educate her on computer no-nos.  What do I need
> to do, if anything, to make sure my hard drive isn't hosed after a
> power-off?  Is there an equivalent to the Windows Scandisk-after-crash
> thing?

It's called fsck and it will run automatically when your computer gets
turned back on.  There are other situations where you may need to run it
manually.  It's get a man page, so "man fsck" will get you docs on it.

To make it easier on your filesystem, you probably want to use the newer
ext3 filesystem on your machine, rather than the old (and still default)
ext2.  ext3 contains some extra logic to help maintain filesystem
consistancy on the disk at all times, which means that the fs is less
likely to be in a fragile state when the power goes away.

noah