Re: laptop questions

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:39:59PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> I've recently installed debian testing on my wife's old p-120 laptop,
> and I've got a few questions about some laptop specific issues.
>
> 1) PCMCIA cards. We have a linksys ethernet card that is recognized as
> an NE2000 compatible ethernet card. When I did the install, the only way
> I could get it to be recognized for the network installation was as eth0
> -- not as a PC card.

I don't understand what you mean ... any ethernet card will show up as
eth0, eth1, etc.

> When I boot, the init scripts try to setup the network /before/ the card
> is loaded. If I'm not on the network at the time, it's not a problem; if
> I am, it means that eth0 goes unbound, and I have to do an 'ifdown eth0
> && ifup eth0' to get my connection.

Probably you have an eth0 stanza in your /etc/network/interfaces file.
Try commenting it out.  I think the pcmcia stuff will set up your
interface automagically (but I no longer have a laptop to verify
this).

HTH,

  Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.