Re: Compiling kernel for AMD CPU with gcc 3.02 How?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:12:14AM -0600, John Foster wrote:
> I was hoping for something that would work across the system.
> I was wondering if I altered the /etc/alternatives links for @cc  @cpp
> @gcc   etc. to their corresponding newer versions i.e @gcc which now
> points to -2.95.4  to point to -3.20 and so on....Would that work?

They're deliberately not /etc/alternatives links; they're installed by
the gcc packages, and will be set back to the current links when you
upgrade. So no, that's probably not such a good idea (unless you fiddle
with dpkg-divert).

Generally you can set the CC and CXX environment variables to point to
the compiler you want.