Re: Zone Alarm

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:52:41 +0000
Martin Johnson <withheld@not-for-mail.example.com> wrote:

> David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:32:42 +0000, Martin Johnson
> > <withheld@not-for-mail.example.com> said:
> >
> >>Wouldn't it be a good idea to drop UDP + TCP 137, 138 and 139 at
> >>Nildram's routers?
> >
> > It makes no sense to cut off my service just because some Windows
> > users are too stupid to use their computers properly.
> >

> I'm not sure that it's reasonable to expect the general public to
> attend IP security / sysadmin training and/or to buy hardware
> firewalls before they connect their boxes to the internet.  We may
> not approve of non-technical folk running lame OSes like Windows 98
> in hopelessly insecure configurations, but this is the real world.

Nildram offers a secure service[1]. IMO any "protections" that
restrict the service should be applied to the secure service and not
to the cheapo accounts. The assumption should be that those who don't
opt in for the secure service _are_ moderately competent.

[1] http://www.getadsl.co.uk/services_secure.htm

Rupert