Unidentified subject!

Hi Folks, I have been trying to setup NFS on my system and run into problems. I have been reading the security part of NFS-HOWTO. strings /sbin/portmap | grep hosts shows that my /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow are not being read at all. my /etc/hosts.deny has
portmap: ALL
lockd  : ALL
mountd : ALL
statd  : ALL
rquotad: ALL /etc/hosts.allow it has the above interies expect that instead of all it has the ip number of the machine that i want to allow access the nfs share. rpcinfo -p info is supposed to show nothing at all according to the doc. how ever there a bunhc of lines of portmap status, nfs nlockmgr mountd that are listed when rpcinfo -p is run. I have recompiled the kernel for NFSv3 support and I have nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server install. quota is also installed. I don't know where I am going wrong. I have attached the output of strings /sbin/portmap if that is of any clue.
Thank you
regards
Harshu
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
__gmon_start__
libwrap.so.0
_DYNAMIC
hosts_ctl
allow_severity
_init
_fini
deny_severity
_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
libnsl.so.1
_IO_stdin_used
libc.so.6
authunix_create
ioctl
strerror
errno
memcpy
svc_sendreply
perror
dup2
malloc
svctcp_create
xdr_bytes
svcerr_decode
socket
xdr_void
xdr_pmap
svcerr_noproc
abort
fprintf
svc_register
bind
__deregister_frame_info
chdir
wait3
signal
openlog
clntudp_create
xdr_u_long
xdr_opaque
sys_nerr
fork
getopt
inet_ntoa
getrpcbynumber
syslog
xdr_pmaplist
sys_errlist
sprintf
stderr
exit
get_myaddress
daemon
__libc_start_main
open
setsid
svcudp_create
svc_run
setuid
__register_frame_info
close
xdr_int
free
_errno
_edata
__bss_start
_end
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.0
PTRh
,WVS
,WVS
<WVS
usage: %s [-dv]
-d: debugging mode
-v: verbose logging
portmap: fork: %s
portmap
cannot create udp socket: %m
cannot bind udp: %m
couldn't do udp_create
cannot create tcp socket: %m
couldn't do tcp_create
run_svc returned unexpectedly
%s: %m
server: about do a switch
svc_sendreply
CALLIT (prog %lu): fork: %m
setuid(1) failed: %m
portmap
: request from unauthorized host
: request from unprivileged port
: request from non-local host
: request not forwarded
unset
null
getport
dump
callit
connect from %s to %s(%s)%s
portmap: out of memory
socket
SIOCGIFCONF
SIOCGIFFLAGS
SIOCGIFADDR
cannot find any active local network interfaces
/dev/null
0123456789
@(#) Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
 All rights reserved.