Re: i always end-up in frame buffer mode

On Saturday 23 November 2002 04:29 am, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:23:34PM +0100, Matthias Hentges wrote:
> > Am Sam, 2002-11-23 um 11.32 schrieb Sandip P Deshmukh:
> > > hello all
> > >
> > > when i boot in linux, i always end up in frame buffer mode - despite
> > > setting up vga=normal in /etc/lilo.conf.
> > >
> > > here is the entry:
> > >
> > > # Specifies the VGA text mode at boot time. (normal, extended, ask,
> > > <mode>) #
> > > # vga=normal
> > > # vga=9
> > > #
> > > vga=normal
> > >
> > > # Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
> > > # here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
> > > # the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
> > > #
> > > # append=""
> > >
> > > manual says normal is for 80*25 and extended is for 80*50! ask prompts
> > > at boot.
> > >
> > > what is wrong?
> >
> > Did you run lilo after changing the configuration?
>
> sure i did. still the same problem

Hi Sandip

IIRC, the "vga=" parameter only affects the settings for VGA text mode. As
you're using a framebuffer this parameter will be ignored.

The control parameter for the framebuffer is given as "video=<foo>". I *think*
that you can turn off the framebuffer with "video=none" or "video=vga" - I
can't remember exactly which.

HTH

- Derek