RE: capturing X to video

I don't know for sure but it should be pretty good. VNC is designed for
interactive use and it will vary depending on your application. VNC
compresses image data before transmitting it so Photoshop would not be a
good choice, nor would fancy window decorations and spiffy root images.
Think simple, flat, and not antialiased. The good news is VNC already has
record and playback features. See:

http://www.tightvnc.com/compare.html#bottom