Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:20:31 -0500 Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:

> What exactly is failing?  Do you have a functioning Xsession, but no
> acceleration?  No functional Xsession?  I have one of those cards, and
> it works fine here, and has 3D acceleration.  Let me know what the
> probem is, and I'll try to help.

I have an ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF, and I can get X to
work fine, and even report X acceleration, but I have to be *extra careful*
no to run anything that will use that acceleration (using X 4.2.1 in testing).

Running flightgear, for instance, will work OK for a few minutes, then
hang my machine in a way that only the magic sysreq will help, sometimes
not even that.

I already lost dozens of hours over the last year searching the net for
a magical XFConfig setting, to no avail. It seems my card and OpenGL just
don't get along.

Could you shed a bit more light on this? Perhaps the relevant sections of
your XFConfig file?

Thanks.

--
Carlos Sousa