Re: Filtering out external DHCP requests

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> Unfortunately, it seems that no matter what I do requests (i.e.
> DHCPDISCOVER from * via eth0) still come in on the external
> connection (eth0).

I believe some (most?) Linux DHCP daemons (including the ISC "dhcpd"
version 2 and 3) use an AF_PACKET socket for all communication.  This
very raw socket gets a copy of all frames, long before they hit the
IPv4-specific packet filter that your "iptables" commands are
configuring.

Your best bet is, obviously, to configure your daemon to only bind to
a specific interface.  (The ISC "dhcpd" can do this with a command
line option, as someone else has pointed out.)

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>