Re: Debian3.0, Win2000 and LILO problem

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 the mental interface of
> Jan Krupa told:
>

> > Thanks for answer.
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jan,
> > >
> > > On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 the mental interface of
> > > Jan Krupa told:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >   What do you want as your default?
> >
> > I want win2k to be deafault so I put default=Win2000(hda1)
> >

> > > So everything you need in your lilo.conf is:
> > >
> > > boot = /dev/hda
> > This line causes to remove the W2k loader doesn't it?
> > If so how to recover it not to install W2k again?
>
> With lilo. man lilo
> # lilo -u /dev/hda
>
> Or repair the bootsektor with your W2K CD.
>
> Installing lilo in the mbr is not a problem. I a running one
> maschine with deb suse and w2k booting from mbr with lilo ;)
>
> > First I had: boot = /dev/hda3
> > it worked for two days but when it finished to work I tried:
> > boot=/dev/hda3
>
> Can't see a diffrence?
I am sorry I made mistake.
There should be:
it worked for two days but when it finished to work I tried:
boot=/dev/hda
It's a little bit better but still not enough well (see below).

> > It's a little bit better but still not enough well (see below).
>
> What is better boot=/dev/hda3 or boot=/dev/hda3. lilo.conf accepts
> blanks or not. That is not the point and makes no different ;-)
I am sorry agian for my mistake.
When I put boot=/dev/hda3
and then the command lilo the following message appeared
boot=/dev/hda3
lilo
mel219:~# lilo
Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
Added Linux
Added Win2000(hda1) *

After rebooting the system
the following happens during booting process:
---
Verifying DMI Pool Data ...
After one day when I switch on the computer I saw the following:
Verifying DMI Pool Data....
Boot from CD:
MBR 3FA:
---
and computer hanged.
Then when I push  enter the coloured LILO's menu appears and then
the booting process goes correctly.

Another strange thinks: when I try to load Linux from booting floppy
first the kernel is not loading. Instead 'boot:000000000....000...so on'
appears (the zeros after 3 lines finish to appear).
Then when I push enter the booting process goes correctly.

Any clue?

Jan