Re: Debian installation: monitor/videocard problem

Liudmila Yafremava said:
> Videocard
> Diamond Viper 16MB TNTA AGP
> Monitor
> Sony Trinitron 21" Multiscan 520GS

that should be pretty easy then..

make sure you have some of the basic packages installed:

apt-get install xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xserver-xfree86
xbase-clients xserver-common

next, you should create /dev/mouse, this would be a symlink to your
mouse, so if your mouse is connected to the PS2 port I would:

cd /dev ; ln -s psaux mouse

then run:
cd /root ; X -configure

that will attempt to identify all your settings, when it exits
run

XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new

if you see a black/white dotted screen with an X cursor and the
mouse works, then its working, hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to exit,
copy the /root/XF86Config.new to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

then you need to install a windowmanager or desktop enviornment,
I use afterstep, but seems gnome and kde are getting popular,
use apt-cache to find the packages, or you can try tasksel which
can select groups of packages to install.

good luck, should be easy, TNT is a well support video card as
is your monitor.

for 3D acceleration you'll need nvidia's drivers but you can work
on that later, first get 2D workin

nate