Re: dosemu

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:09:12PM +0100, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> I'd like to invite comments, criticism, additions, suggestions,
> and tips, to the following 'Dosemu for Dummies':
>
> http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/dosemu.html

It's interesting... I really hadn't any idea that dosemu had gone so far
that you could just place files in $HOME and have it boot them.  I'm going
to have to try that... my normal setup is with FreeDOS, but I have a reason
to want to boot DOS 6 and DOS 3.3 as well.

However, I take exception to your assertion that it doesn't work out of the
box.  If all you do is install the Debian dosemu package, and launch it, it
will complain about no operating system.  But it *works*.  If you then
follow the maintainer's instructions and install FreeDOS, it boots that
just fine.  If it didn't for you, I think you should file a bug against the
package, since that's what the maintainer says should work.

In both console and X, for all users of the box. :)

See http://members.cox.net/msw/ss/ss11171054.png for an example.

I regularly run several different DOS programs on several different VT's
through FreeDOS.  It's come a LONG way in the last couple of years.  I just
wish Sourcer would behave properly.

This is not to run down your HOWTO.  It works.  Follow it, and you have a
guaranteed working dosemu.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Many Myths are based on truth -- Spock, "The Way to
 msw@cox.net |     Eden", stardate 5832.3