No contact to ppp0

Hi list,

I'm just migrating from RedHat 7.3 to Woody and got te following
problem:
when I try to dial up to the internet wvdial does everything alright
and pppd starts up. After that I can find pp0 in /proc-directory.
The problem ist, no programm (ping, Opera, Phoenix, GFTP etc.) uses
or finds the ppp0-interface and instead tries to access the net via
the eth0-interface, obviously of no avail.

The configuration is the same as in RH 7.3 there everything works
fine. Also user is member of dip and dialout.

Any Ideas? If this has been discused, pleased point to to the
thread, I didn't find anything in the archives, but don't want to
cause extra traffic.

Thx

Tobias Kretschmer