Re: FHS, Policy, /var/local, places to put multiple CVS repositories

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 03:34:14PM -0600, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> Hi all,

hi there,

> By default the cvs package places a repository in /var/lib/cvs. Great,
> I'm using it. Now I want to provide a completely different CVS
> repository to a workgroup here. Where should I put it?

my guess for complete FHS compliance is to put it into /var/local to
accord to the /usr/local rule for everything put into a local directory
which is specific to your machine.

/home may be right also, but is usually linked to existing users.

> Can I put the new repositories in /var/local? What the heck is
> /var/local for anyway?

for variable data belonging and linked to /usr/local.

here a snippet from FHS v2.2:

5.2 Requirements

The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, are
required in /var.

"/var" local Variable data for /usr/local

my bet is, to put it into /var/local/lib/cvs

 - regards, turrican