Geforce4 mx440 problem

I remebered earlier posting to the effect that it was necessary to get the drivers for Gefore4 form nvidia so I downloaded NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0.3123.tar.gz and ran tar xvzf on each of them. Unpacking GLX failed with the message that gzip had encountered an unexpected end-of-file. I repeated the download and tried again with the same result. I repeated the download with an earlier posting of these files and tried again with the same result.

Does anyone know the solution to this problem?