Re: Looking to switch to debian...

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 19:18, Edward Guldemond wrote:
> > 	--ability to recover when occasional problems happen (without having to
> > reinstall to recover my X desktop)
>
> What occasional problems might you be having with SuSE?  With my
> experiences with Debian, there usually aren't many problems unless you
> are running the unstable distribution, but then, there aren't too many
> problems there either.

	Due to a glitch/powersurge/young-un kicking the case (I'm not sure
which) I lost my ability to go into X.  The startx message kept comming
up with a /tmp/**lock file or some such not being available.  I tried to
fix manually, but to no avail.  Which is where I started my frustrating
dance with re-installation (even tried YOU which made things worse).  I
have had to back-grade my system to make it usuable.

> Debian stable has GNOME 1.4 right now, and it's anybody's guess when
> GNOME 2.0 will be avaliable.  (You could compile it from source...)

	Gnome 2 seems too flaky yet--and not enough apps are upgraded yet.  I'm
happy with 1.4 (or was, until SuSE messed it up...)