Re: keeping software updates in sync

Michael Hothorn <mhothorn@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de> [2002-11-09 11:34:39 +0100]:

> Hi
>
> At the moment I am using Debian woody 3.0 on a single i386 machine.
>
> There are three more machines, all i386 but with different hardware.
>
> If I install a new package via apt-get or dselect, is there a way to tell
> all the other machines to do this as well? I would like to have them
> with the same packages installed but configured as single machines
> (different configuration files in /etc).

On your master machine:

  dpkg --get-selections | awk '$2 == "install"' > package-list

On your slave machine:

  dpkg --get-selections > saved-list
  dpkg --set-selections < package-list
  apt-get dselect-upgrade

CAVEAT: I don't usually do this and so you should double check that I
am sending you the right direction.  Check the details before trying
this.

And you might want to use apt-proxy to keep a local cache of packages
on your master machine so that you only download once.  This really
speeds up the installs on the secondary machines.

  apt-get install apt-proxy

And then you will need to read the instructions and do some
configuration to make use of apt-proxy.

Bob