Re: procmail slow email delivery

Hi,
I looked carefully and noticed that I have both a /etc/exim.conf~ and a
/etc/exim/exim.conf.  In the first file (conf~) I had the lines:
qualify_domain = otte
local_domains = localhost:otte
which probably says my localhost is otte, instead of otte.ucsc.edu.  It
was not like this in /etc/exim/exim.conf, where I had:
qualify_domain = otte.ucsc.edu
local_domains = localhost:otte.ucsc.edu
(I suspect the .conf~ file is a backup that didn't get removed).  So I
removed /etc/exim.conf~,and restarted the machine.  I've noticed that
the mail messages still are mentioned twice in the log file.  For
example, here is a mail message from myself that is mentioned twice:

2002-11-08 08:47:06 18ACHh-0000Gb-00 <= otte@ucsc.edu H=otte (localhost)
[127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=1214 id=20021108164942.GE262@perelandra
2002-11-08 08:47:06 18ACHh-0000Gb-00 => ric@otte R=smarthost T=remote_smtp
H=smtp.ucsc.edu [128.114.129.35]
2002-11-08 08:47:06 18ACHh-0000Gb-00 Completed
2002-11-08 08:47:16 18ACHs-0000Gi-00 <= otte@ucsc.edu H=cats-mx2.ucsc.edu
(ucsc.edu) [128.114.129.35] P=esmtp S=1628 id=20021108164942.GE262@perelandra
2002-11-08 08:47:16 18ACHs-0000Gi-00 => ric <ric@otte.ucsc.edu> D=procmail
T=procmail_pipe
2002-11-08 08:47:16 18ACHs-0000Gi-00 Completed

I then fetched the exact same message from my home machine (which works
fine) and noticed the log file deals with the message once:

2002-11-08 09:13:29 18AChF-0000eM-00 Completed
2002-11-08 09:13:29 18AChF-0000eM-01 <= otte@ucsc.edu H=perelandra
(localhost) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=1237
id=20021108164942.GE262@perelandra
2002-11-08 09:13:29 18AChF-0000eM-01 => ric <ric@localhost> D=procmail
T=procmail_pipe
2002-11-08 09:13:29 18AChF-0000eM-01 Completed

This puzzles me, because the exim.conf files are almost identical; the
differences are in the localhost names.  Furthermore, both of these
machines have the same .forward file, which reads:
|/usr/bin/procmail -t
and .fetchmailrc is the same for both.  So I don't know why my home
machine gets the message and sends it to ric <ric@localhost> and my
office machine sends it to ric@otte.  I can understand why it would have
done that with the old exim.conf~ file (with qualify domain=otte), but
now that I've removed that, shouldn't it use /etc/exim/exim.conf where
it is listed as (qualify domain=otte.ucsc.edu)?

I may have misspoken when I said it worked fine when I took out the
procmailrc.  What I noticed was that a couple of messages didn't have
the long delay; but that may have been a quirk, and they may still have
been processed twice.  I'm going into my office in a while, and I will
experiment some more with this.  If anyone has any suggestions on things
to try, I'm open.

Thanks very much for all the advice!
Best,
Ric
ps
I don't have two NIC cards, or anything special.  I'm puzzled